My favourite time of year is almost here! I absolutely love the holidays and all of the delicious foods and treats that come along with it. I have a major sweet tooth, so it’s no surprise that I love diving into holiday treat recipes and sharing with family and friends. The holidays bring people together in many different ways and that means that there is a lot of dessert/recipe swapping going on. It’s so much fun to get together with your loved ones and enjoy different treats that each person has brought to the gathering. It’s also a great way to obtain new ideas and recipes to try yourself at home!
My mom and I have a variety of different treats we prepare every Christmas for our mixed treat platters and among those recipes is one of our favourites – Chocolate Cherry Thumbprint Cookies. This delectable and chocolatey cookie with a surprise cherry inside is sure to get people oohing and ahhing over how delicious it is. It’s surprisingly really easy to make and is a great cookie to freeze so you can pull it out whenever you need to if guests are coming over (or if you have an unexpected sweet tooth moment!). Burnbrae Farms helps bring my holiday desserts to life and the majority of my recipes require fresh eggs to tie it all together and help my recipe live up to its full potential, not to mention taste its best!
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Naturegg™ egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 tsp cherry juice
24 maraschino cherries halved or quartered
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour and cocoa powder; set aside
- In large bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds
- Beat in sugar, baking powder and baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt
- Beat in egg and vanilla
- Gradually beat in flour mixture
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on un-greased cookie sheet
- Press down centre of each ball with your thumb and place cherry half or quarter in centre of each
- Combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk and heat until chocolate melts. Stir in 4 tsp. of cherry juice and spoon over each cherry to cover
- Bake about 10 minutes and let cool for a minute on cookie sheet. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
For more great recipes, check out Burnbrae Farms Recipe Nest. They have some amazing dessert recipes such as their adorable Merry Meringue Snowmen. You’re sure to find lots of amazing recipes that will make your holidays bright and delicious!
Disclosure: I am participating in the Burnbrae Farms campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.