Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Canadian Turkey. However, all views and opinions are genuine and my own.
I’m finally enjoying the outdoors with the warmer weather peeking it’s head around the corner more and more each day. As a family, we are enjoying more walks and trips to the park, and just taking in the much needed warmth that has been hiding all winter long. I’m so happy spring has finally arrived and that means that there are lots of delicious foods that come along with the warmer weather.
We really enjoy being together as a family and food naturally plays a big part in that. We always eat together as a family at the table and with no distractions from electronics. It’s important to me that we have that quality time each and every day. I also make sure that we’re enjoying delicious and healthy meals throughout the day that will encourage my kids to make healthy choices throughout the rest of their lives.
I love trying out different recipes using turkey! Since turkey is one of my absolute favourite meats, I enjoy finding new ways to cook it and serve to my family. This Extra Crispy Roast Turkey is easy to prepare and adds even more flavour and crispiness than the traditional way of preparing a turkey that many people are used to. It’s sure to excite guests with how delicious it is and you’re going to love having some tasty Roast Turkey leftovers for turkey sandwiches, soup, etc. all week long.
I’m so excited to have this Extra Crispy Roast Turkey for Easter this year. It’s going to be the perfect addition to our dinner table and the many side dishes that we have planned to go with it.
Extra Crispy Roast Turkey
Serves: 8 – 12
Prep time: 24 hrs.
Cook time: 4 ½ hrs.
12 – 14 lbs. turkey
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ tsp dry ground sage
1 ½ tsp dry ground thyme
2 tbsp butter, softened to room temperature
1/3 cup roughly chopped carrots
1/3 cup roughly chopped celery
1/3 cup roughly chopped onions
1 cup turkey broth
- Defrost the turkey according to package instructions or visit canadianturkey.ca/ for proper thawing instructions and tips.
- Make sure the giblets have been removed.
- At least 12, and up to 24 hours before cooking, air-chill your turkey in the refrigerator. Air chilling will dry out the skin of the bird, making the skin extra crispy when cooked. To air chill your turkey, place the bird on a baking sheet or baking pan large enough to hold the bird. Make sure the pan is deep enough to catch any drips or liquid. Place the turkey on a baking rack in the pan, so that air can circulate completely around the bird.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Once the turkey is ready to roast, spread the butter evenly over the breast.
- Season the bird, inside and out, with the salt, pepper, olive oil and the herbs.
- Stuff the cavity with the celery, carrots and onions.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. Roast for 3 ½ – 4 ½ hours or until the juices run clear and an instant thermometer reads 170°F (77°C) in the breast and 180°F (82°C) in the thigh when inserted into the thickest part of the meat. For more information on cooking times, visit canadianturkey.ca
9. Remove the turkey from the oven and let it rest for 30 minutes.
10. Discard vegetables from the cavity and carve the turkey.
NOTE: Cooking times are for planning purposes only – always use a digital meat thermometer to determine doneness.
TIP: To create an extra juicy turkey breast, take an additional 2 tbsp of softened butter and spread generously under the skin and all over the breast before cooking.
Canadian Turkey doesn’t need to be present at the table just on special occasions. It can be on the table any day of the week. As a “Power Protein”, it’s a meat that we ALL love and it’s also one that is often the star of the meal during special holidays, such as Easter, which is almost here! It’s a much healthier option to enjoy during those “special” meals and makes for a nice, light choice that is economical and results in lots of delicious leftovers that can be enjoyed the rest of the week in a variety of different ways.
Don’t always limit yourself to just a whole turkey either! You can easily find turkey parts like thighs, breasts and drumsticks to help cut down on your cooking time.
Check out Canadian Turkey for delicious meal ideas, recipes and HOW TOs to help get your inspired for your next family meal!
WIN IT: Enter for chance to WIN a $75 Hudson’s Bay e-gift card!
(E-Gift Card is redeemable at The Bay, Home Outfitters, or thebay.com)
~~**Giveaway open to CANADA only**~~
Giveaway ends April 20, 2017