Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Canadian Turkey. However, all views and opinions are genuine and my own.
Summer isn’t over yet! That means there is still lots of time to enjoy your favourite foods on the grill, as well as try out some new recipes with the BBQ. It’s amazing what foods you can get creative with on the BBQ and you don’t need to be shy about trying new dishes on the grill. Not only do I love the flavour that the grill brings to food, but I also love how much easier the clean-up is with grilling, compared to cooking in the kitchen.
Foil packs are one of my absolute favourite ways to cook a delicious and healthy meal for the family. They are quick, easy and full of flavour. It is so simple to throw everything into a foil packet and create a full meal with many different ingredients all combined into one. Veggies, meat and potatoes? You can’t go wrong, especially on the grill.
BBQ Turkey Sausage, Potatoes and Vegetable Foil Packs
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 35 – 60 mins
3 Canadian Turkey sausages
1 ear corn, cut into medallions
12 baby potatoes
½ red pepper
½ green pepper
½ orange pepper
1 medium red onion
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Blanch potatoes in boiling, salted water until semi-tender, 15 mins. Slice in half.
- Cut sausages into 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Slice peppers and onion into 1-inch strips.
- Create a large foil pack, enough to comfortably contain all the sausages and vegetables.
- Season with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Seal the foil pack.
- BBQ over medium heat, 35 – 55 mins, until vegetables are browned and sausages are cooked through, registering 165°F (74°C) on a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part. (Heat setting and cook time will depend on the power of your BBQ.) If your sausage and vegetables are cooked through but not browned, cook an additional 10-15 mins with the foil pack opened.
TIP: For a different twist on this recipe, substitute 1-inch cubed boneless thighs or breast instead of sausage.
We have enjoyed turkey on the grill quite a few times this summer already. It is a great lean meat that is light and pairs well with your favourite summer side dishes. Turkey is so easy to grill and always comes out so juicy and tender. Packed full of protein, turkey can be substituted into any of your favourite meat dishes to add a light and lean taste.
Tips to help you get the most flavour out of your favourite turkey grilling recipes:
- Learn to use direct and indirect heat. Direct heat works best to sear turkey, develop savoury crusts on your cuts, create flavourful grill marks and cook smaller or thinner cuts of meat quickly. Indirect heat works for larger cuts of meat that need to cook low and slow, coaxing out flavours while keeping cuts moist and tender.
- Smoke and sizzle mean big flavour. Use the barbeque to brown your turkey and create caramelization that adds big, bold flavour and keeps your meat juicy and tender. Smoke adds that unique and special BBQ taste, allowing you to cut down on salt, sugar and fat.
- Preheat your grill to hot so that food will sear on contact and avoid sticking.
- Use dry and wet rubs to season your turkey cuts. Turkey loves a wide variety of herbs and spices, so feel free to experiment with your favourite flavours to enhance taste and texture.
- Know when your meat is done! Use a meat thermometer to check doneness and avoid overcooking or especially undercooking your turkey.
Fire up the grill, because there is still lots of summer grilling left! Add turkey to your summer menu and use the turkey grilling tips to help you get the most flavour and enjoyment out of your turkey grilling. You can also visit Canadian Turkey to download your Summer Grilling Guide!
What is YOUR favourite side dish to pair with turkey during the summer months?
WIN IT: Enter for chance to WIN a $75 Amazon.ca E-Gift Card!
~~**Giveaway open to CANADA only**~~
Giveaway ends August 23, 2017.