Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Becel®. However, all views and opinions are genuine and my own.
The holiday season always gets me in a festive and cheery mood. One of my favourite things about this time of year is gifting to the people I love and seeing their faces light up with joy. Being able to create a personalized gift for the special people in your life is one of the most rewarding feelings there is, and it’s so easy to make a DIY gift that your friends and family are sure to enjoy.
My family and friends love baked goods, so homemade treats are always the most appreciated. One of my go-to recipes for creating delicious treats, especially during the holidays, is the Becel® Anything Goes Cookie Dough – a single, customizable cookie dough recipe that allows you to get as creative as you want by adding in your own mix-ins. This recipe makes it easy to make multiple varieties of cookies at once by splitting the dough and adding your favourite mix-ins.
It’s free from artificial preservatives, flavours and colours, and us made from simple blends of plant and seed oils, so you can feel good about using Becel® in your holiday recipes!
This recipe comes out perfect every single time. The cookies are always soft, chewy and delicious – no matter what mix-ins you add to it. Last year I experimented with a chocolate, cranberry and coconut combination, and this year, I wanted to create something festive and that I know all of my friends and family would love. We all have a love of chocolate and most of the people in my family love cherries, so I thought a mix of the two would be the perfect combination for my DIY gifts. Add some orange to enhance the flavours and you have a cookie that is sure to be a hit!
Orange Glazed Chocolate Cherry Cookies
2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp. (5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine
1 cup (250 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
1/3 cup maraschino cherries, chopped in quarters
Zest from 1 orange
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Red food colouring – optional
Juice from 1 orange
TIP: Don’t worry about replacing butter with Becel® Buttery Taste margarine in your other baked goods either – it’s a 1:1 ration, so you can use Becel® in almost any recipe with no worries. The best part? You can use it straight out of the fridge and it will be smooth and creamy each time, ready to go!
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190° C). Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat Becel® Buttery Taste margarine with sugars in large bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla until blended. Gradually add in flour mixture; beat just until blended.
- Add cherries, chocolate, orange zest and gently fold into mixture. (Optional: Add a few drops of red food colouring or a bit of cherry juice if omitting the vanilla extract).
- Drop by tablespoons or using small scoop on un-greased baking sheets, 2-inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake 7 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool 2 minutes on wire rack; remove cookies from sheets and cool completely.
- Prepare Orange Glaze and drizzle over top of cooled cookies using a teaspoon. Let glaze set before storing.
I love how festive these cookies are and the orange zest in the cookies really helps the cherry flavour pop. The orange glaze on top offers an added bit of citrus flare to this cookie and really enhances all of the flavours while also adding a sweet surprise. My husband and kids can’t get enough of this cookie and I will be making them again soon.
Did you know that, in a recent survey conducted by Becel, 3 out of 4 Canadians said they DIY gifts are more thoughtful than store-bought gifts? I feel the same way, so I turned these Orange Glazed Chocolate Cherry Cookies into a DIY gift. It’s so easy (and cost-effective!), but the time and care you put into it really shows the recipient just how much they mean to you. I love the rustic touch of a mason jar and think the evergreen sprig topper adds extra charm.
DIY Mason Jar Cookie Gift
- Using a clean wide-mouth mason jar, layer Orange Glazed Chocolate Cranberry Cookies inside.
- After placing the lid on firmly, top with a festive topper such as evergreen sprigs.
- Wrap ribbon around the outside of the jar and tie or tape at the back.
- Attach a gift tag for the person you are gifting to.
Let Becel® help you #BakewithHeart and gift with love this holiday season using their single, customizable recipe for soft and chewy cookies every time! Be sure to check out becelbakewithheart.ca for more gifting and recipe inspiration.