Disclosure: This is a sponsored post with Canadian Turkey. However, all views and opinions are genuine and my own.
I am getting so excited about the approaching holidays. It truly is one of my most favourite times of year. The gathering of friends and family, the festivities, the cheer, the decorations and of course, the FOOD! I LOVE the food that comes along with the holidays. So many delicious meals and treats that are enjoyed while sitting around a table with the most important people in my life. It makes me genuinely happy and at ease.
Our holidays always involve Canadian Turkey. Every single year. It is part of the tradition that makes the holidays special and a success. Being such a versatile and lean meat, it is easy to reinvent turkey into many different meals and recipes. Whether it’s the star of the meal, or a yummy appetizer on the side, it is always a favourite and delicious meat to help celebrate the festive season.
When feeding a crowd, you want food that is delicious, easy to prepare and also, easy to enjoy. That is why I love appetizers! They can be the star of a gathering all in itself. I find that when you are visiting with a group of people, having bite-sized foods makes it easier to enjoy conversation without too much hassle or mess before the big meal. Sometimes, we just make a bunch of appetizers with no big meal at all. Having a variety of different bite-sized foods is fun and gives guests more hands-free opportunity throughout a party and better ability to converse.
These delicious and fun Turkey Falafel Bites are PERFECT for any holiday gathering! They can be part of a group of appetizers while visiting, or a nice appetizer before the main meal. They can be enjoyed and devoured in one bite with no mess. Not to mention, they are packed full of flavour thanks to a beautiful combination of lean turkey, pomegranate, pistachio, falafel mix and other tasty ingredients and seasonings. They are quick and easy to make, so you can spend more time enjoying your guests instead of frantically trying to cook and prepare food. It’s a crowd-pleaser for sure.
Turkey Falafel Bites
Makes: 36 appetizers
Prep time: 20 mins.
Cook time: 10 – 15 mins.
350 gr. ground Canadian turkey
1 tsp olive oil
½ cup diced onion
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package (285 gr) falafel mix
½ cup store bought tzatziki
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
1/3 cup unsalted pistachios
1 tbsp honey
36 appetizer skewers
- Heat olive oil in a medium size frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 2-4 minutes until softened and just beginning to brown.
- Add ground turkey, paprika, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook an additional 7-10 minutes, until turkey is cooked through and no longer pink. Mix to break up any larger chunks. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare falafel mix according to package directions.
- Add turkey mixture and combine.
- Form mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Shallow fry or sauté in a non-stick frying pan.
- Cook falafel balls until browned, 2 minutes per side.
- Remove and let drain on paper towels until cooled.
- To assemble, spread tzatziki across a large appetizer platter.
- Dot with turkey falafel bites.
- Top each bite with an appetizer skewer.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, pistachio nuts and cilantro.
- Drizzle with honey.
TIP: You can make your turkey falafel bites up to 1 day ahead and refrigerate until needed. Feel free to serve with any or all of your favourite dips like hummus, baba ganoush or roasted red pepper dip.
Although it is always a show-stopper to prepare a whole roasted turkey during the holidays, we always enjoy using turkey in other various ways as well. There are different cuts of turkey meat you can use and Canadian Turkey has so many great tips, tricks and recipe ideas to help you celebrate the holidays with delicious food and ease in the kitchen.
5 Great Ways to Use Turkey in Any of Your Favourite Appetizer and Party Meal Recipes:
- Sub in ground turkey meat for the ground meat in any of your favourite meatball recipes.
- Turkey breast pairs well with Thai flavours so you can substitute it in any rice wrap recipe.
- Use turkey sausage for a lighter version of traditional sausage rolls.
- Mix chopped turkey breast with mustard, mayo and cranberries and fill up phyllo or wonton cups.
- Choose turkey to make a lighter, protein-packed version of crowd pleasers like crostini, flatbreads or pizza.
WIN IT: Enter for chance to WIN a $75 Amazon E-Gift Card!
~~**Giveaway open to CANADA only**~~
Giveaway ends November 23, 2017